1. Preparing of the local population to participation in the forests sustainable management. Establishment and development of the mechanisms for public participation.
Main fields of activity:
- Establishment of a system for informing the local population about the sustainable forest management;
- Assistance in the discussion of the issues related to the forest management and use;
- Implementation of the new public participation mechanisms and adaptation of the existing ones.
The system for informing the local population on the forest management issues, established during the project implementation, includes:
- information channels traditional for the region, filled with additional content within the frames of the project
- local newspaper,
- library network,
- exhibition center etc.
- new forms of informing the local population, initiated by the project
- workshops on the forest issues,
- discussion clubs,
- exhibitions, museum expositions on the forest topic,
- project doors open day,
- excursions to the demonstration routes,
- special supplement to the local newspaper.
Mechanisms of public participation in the forest management have been defined and adapted to the local conditions, and at the present moment they are really used in the Model forest. The procedure of the public hearings has been developed and approved by the Council of the Priluzje region. Recommendations for the public hearings conduct have been approved by the Main Directorate of the Natural Resources in the Komi Republic and recommended for use in all forestry units of the republic.
Social Forest Council serving as a connecting link between the administration of the region, forest service (a forestry unit), and local population was established in Priluzje for planning and execution of the activities on informing of the local population and promoting the implementation of the local initiatives (on the recreational forest use, youth career guidance and other issues related to the participation of the population in the forest management)
2. Dissemination of Komi Model forest experience in the involvement of the local population in the forest management
Main fields of activities
- Preparation of the local population of the Pechora and Izhma regions of the Komi Republic to participation in the forest management (workshops on dissemination of the Model forest experience);
- Support for the initiatives of the Pripechorje NGOs on public participation in the sustainable forest management;
- Support for the local initiatives on development of traditional use of natural resources and rural tourism (recreational forest management).
In Pechora region of the Komi Republic the NGO “River Pechora Rescue Committee” together with the local information and education center “Man and nature” organize and conduct the workshops for the local population and forestry units’ employees on the topic “Mechanisms of the local population participation in the environmental management”. Participants of these workshops get acquainted with the experience of the Model forest and the Pripechorje NGOs.
Initiatives of the River Pechora Rescue Committee and NGOs of the Izhma region on conservation and development of the traditional forest exploitation have been supported.
Problem-training workshops on organization of the rural tourism have been conducted in the Izhma and Pechora regions of the Komi Republic. NGOs together with the regions’ administrations have worked out the projects on development of the rural tourism and the first practical steps in this direction are under implementation.
3. Main results
- A procedure of the public hearings has been developed and implemented in the forestry. To involve the population in the active and effective participation in the public hearings address methodological recommendations have been prepared and published as a separate brochure for the participants of the public hearings.
- Social Forest Council made up of the most active representatives of the local population was established and is in operation in Priluzje. Social Forest Council is performing outreach and awareness-raising work on sustainable forest management and promoting development of interaction and cooperation of the population with the forestry unit.
- Supported local initiatives:
- creation of the forest museum in Priluzje (2 museum expositions have been prepared – on the history of forestry and on the history of the forest use);
- recreational forest use (arrangement of the popular resting places among the people on the territory of the Priluzje forestry unit has been started).
- Experience of the project on participation of the local population in the forest management is being disseminated in the Izhma and Pechora regions of the Komi Republic. In the Izhma region the initiative of the local NGOs has been supported and implementation of the municipal program on recreational forest use and rural tourism development has been started.
Coordinator of this field of activity – Valentina Semyashkina